Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mixed Bag

The weather was kind enough to withhold the rain, but it was a pretty uneventful day at the waterbird shack.

Weather: Cloudy all day, temperatures failed to reach 40. Wind out of the E all day topped out at 10 mph and really died off the second half of the count.

Waterbird Count: Surprising amount of movement from the red-necked grebes, who until today were mostly just lollygagging around the bay. Overall 24 RN grebes, 22 common loons, 16 northern pintail, 6 common mergansers, 6 mallards, 2 RB mergansers, 2 LT ducks, 2 horned grebes, 2 gadwall, and our 2 resident Canada geese.

Other Sightings: Bird of the day in my area was the glaucous gull. It was spotted amongst a number of gulls who were mobbing a fishing boat a ways off shore. It then flew inland and passed right over our heads towards the lighthouse. First thing in the morning I mentioned to a spring fling guest if I got an interesting gull I'd consider it a good day so I'm keeping my word...sort of.

Forecast for tomorrow isn't too bad. Temperatures up to the mid 50s, but a 70% chance of rain that could last the entire day. Winds from the SSW at 15 to 25 mph. I'm predicting a decent day for the loons but not too hopeful for anything else tomorrow.

Andy N
Waterbird Counter

No comments: