Thursday, September 3, 2009

September 3, 2009

Today was my day off so Chris conducted the waterbird count.

He had low numbers but a decent variety including 145 Red-necked Grebes, 23 Common Loons, a Horned Grebe, several Scaup, 31 American Wigeon (the best total yet this year), 10 Mallard, and 41 Blue-winged and 17 Green-winged Teal. Shorebirds were pretty quiet but a Black-bellied Plover flew in at the end of the count. He also had quite a few passerines including the first American Pipit of the year.

I spent part of my day off at the Sleeper Lake burn just north of Newberry and had a great look at a male Black-backed Woodpecker. I watched the bird feed from about 15 yards away for almost a half hour...a great look at one of my favorite birds. Good numbers of warblers were around in mixed flocks as well.

Tom Prestby
Waterbird Counter

No comments: